If you’ve been injured in a car accident because of someone else’s negligence, you must take action to ensure that your rights are protected.
After an accident, you might think you should immediately contact ICBC or other insurance company. Do not speak to ICBC without first speaking to a personal injury lawyer. ICBC and other insurance companies are not on your side. They are most interested in limiting the amount of money they will have to compensate you for your injuries. They do this by trying to dispute liability and by partially blaming you even when you were obviously not at fault for the accident. They will often suggest you were partially responsible for the accident or your injuries because:
- you weren’t wearing a seat belt;
- you didn’t have your headrest properly adjusted;
- you were speeding;
- your headlights were not turned on;
It is important to gather information about your accident as soon as possible to confirm you were not at fault. Following an accident, you likely will not be in a good position to do this. We can help you by:
- Determining the names and contact information of any independent eye witnesses, and interviewing them;
- Getting any police reports;
- Having our accident reconstruction experts attend the accident to scene to investigate and preserve evidence;
Once you have spoken with us, we can contact ICBC on your behalf and help you begin your claim. If you have already met with ICBC you should contact us as soon as possible.